Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I am here in Jaipur the pink city- after a 12 hour bus ride and then a 6 hour bus ride all I can say is OY! However, I did have a bed on both trains so I got some sleep and peed in 3-5 nasty holes in the floor at bus stops ewwwwww. We are now traveling with two guys we met in McCloud Ganj (Dharamasala) from Indiana named Travis and Chad. It’s good because the men here are massive harassers. Last night we went to a local carnival (think of scenes from the movie IT and you can get an idea of how crazy the carnival was) and we were swarmed by young men, families and women who wanted to take pictures and shake our hands. Basically it was like the time Jon and went to a state fair and he paid to see the 2 foot tall woman at the freak show. But, this time we were the 2 foot tall women. awkward!!! I also went on a Ferris wheel which probably would have been illegal in the U.S. but none the less we decided that it was a good idea to use it here why??? hmmmmmm ...

On a safer note (or maybe not so really) I had dinner at a literal hole in the wall. So you see, the old city of Jaipur is surrounded by a pink wall. We had dinner at a place that you entered by walking through a hole in the wall. The restaurant was actually on top of the wall. The dinner was delicious- every kind of masala you could imagine and I am not sick today yahooooo which means that the hole in the wall restaurant was not as dirty as it actually looked (that means 4 stars on the India Zagats rating).

Today we are going to tour around Jaipur in the unnecessarily hot weather and go to a traditional Rajasthan show and village (hokey).

1 comment:

Alyson Luck said...

Jessie,

I miss you so much it is getting weird. When are you getting home? I love your blog - you are just as funny as you were in Africa. I cannot believe that now that I have all the free time in the world- you are exploring India. Also, Randy thought you were dead (or mad at him) and I sent him your blog link.

It sucks without you! Love and miss you!
Al

Ps. How is the chana marsala there?